Mt. Zion Cemetery
This 5-acre cemetery is located on the league of land granted to Robert Clokey, of Stephen F. Austin's Second Colony, in 1831. First grave here was that of an infant, E. A. Metcalfe, who died Sept. 15, 1852. Some unmarked graves may date from a yellow fever epidemic that struck this area in 1867. The cemetery was probably named for the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, located here from 1857 to 1882. Deeded to cemetery trustees in 1881 by owner J. R. Hines, the site contains 13 marked graves, which represent 55 families. The Burton Heritage Society now maintains the property.
Mt. Zion Baptist Church
Pioneer area settlers organized the Mt. Zion Baptist Church in 1852 on land donated by James R. Hines. Early ministers included notable Baptist leaders from Old Baylor College at nearby Independence. The church building was dismantled and rebuilt in the new town of Burton on land donated by F. A. Rice and A. Groesbeck in 1882. At that time the congregation was renamed Burton Baptist Church. The sanctuary was rebuilt after being damaged in the 1900 storm and on Feb. 18, 1983, was moved here to its original site. It now serves as a reminder of the area's rich pioneer heritage.