38 0 3 0 0
Acala. On the rio grande river and state highway 20, 34 mi nw of sierra blanca near the sp rr tracks in sw hudspeth county. It was founded before 1925, when a post office was established with mrs. Julia a. Vaughn as postmistress. In 1927 acala had a population of fifty. Two years later that figure had doubled. By the mid 1930 however the population had fallen to an estimated ten persons. It increased gradually over the next three decades, from an estimated seventy-five in 1939 to ninety in the 1940's and 100 in the late 1950's.Subsequently however it fell again; in the late 1960's it was estimated at fifty and in the early 1970's at twenty five, where it remains today. Mail from fort hancock.Acala was named for the long-staple cotton of mexican origin gorwn in the area; it is the site of numerous canals and wells dug for irrigation. Submitted by: Samuel W McWhorter
There are no user reviews for this listing.
Already have an account? Log in now